Is graduation day right around the corner, but your gown is all wrinkly? Don’t worry- follow this guide on how to get wrinkles out of your graduation gown. With these simple tips, we are sure you will get a wrinkle free gown in no time.
A graduation ceremony is a celebration of a student’s achievements. It also validates student’s hard work and the late nights spent over the years. So, graduates need to look their best on this big day. Unfortunately, it is incredibly easy for graduation gowns to get wrinkled. Often students find themselves wondering about how to get wrinkles out of grad gowns. If you are one of those individuals looking for the solution, then read on.
Why do Graduation Gowns Wrinkle?
Graduation gowns crease easily because of the nature of the fabric. They are made from 100% pure polyester fabric which requires extra care for them to look good. Directly ironing them or throwing them in the dryer will cause the fabric to melt. To avoid spoiling your robes, you can have a professional dry-clean them for you. But, if this option proves too expensive you can find budget-friendly ways on how to remove wrinkles from graduation gowns below.
Best Ways to Get Wrinkles Out of Graduation Gown
If you are worried about getting wrinkles out of your 100% polyester graduation gown, then fret no more. We have listed the best methods to make your gown wrinkle-free.
Steam in Shower
One easy method is to steam your grad gown in your shower. Follow these steps to get the best results,
- As soon as you remove the gown from its packaging, hang it up to avoid further creasing. To avoid snagging the fabric, Good Housekeeping suggests you use a wooden hanger.
- Hang the gown on your shower rod, keeping it away from the showerhead.
- Run the water on hot for 15 to 20 minutes to steam out all wrinkles.
- While steaming occasionally tug the gown to help remove creases.
To conserve water, you should do this while showering. Or, you could place a bucket under the shower to collect water for future use.
Another way to get wrinkles out of your graduation gown is by using a hairdryer. Have a look at these simple steps,
- With a wet cloth or towel, dampen the wrinkled parts of the gown.
- Set your hair dryer to the lowest temperature setting.
- Blow the dryer on the dampened area for a few minutes to remove wrinkles.
When blow-drying, keep the dryer at a distance from the fabric to avoid damaging it. This method should be effective against even the toughest wrinkles.
Ironing the Graduation Gown
If you would rather iron out the wrinkles, then you must do so carefully. Directly placing a hot iron on a polyester gown will melt it. Follow these steps to avoid a disaster,
- First, turn your gown inside out.
- Place the gown along the length of the ironing board. Make sure the fabric isn’t gathered at any point.
- Dampen a towel or thick cloth and place it onto the gown.
- Heat your iron at the lowest setting.
- Place the iron onto the damp towel and keep it moving continuously.
- Iron the whole gown in this manner while making sure the fabric doesn’t gather.
- Immediately hang the gown once you finish.
While ironing, you must not let the iron touch the gown or it will burn the fabric. If ironing at low heat isn’t working, then gradually raise it to medium heat. Don’t go any higher than medium!
You can get rid of wrinkles from your gown with the help of ingredients available in your pantry. All you need is,
- 1 tbsp of fabric softener.
- 2 tsp of vinegar.
- 1 cup of water.
- A few drops of Essential oil/Essence (optional).
Mix these ingredients and pour them into a spray bottle to form your very own homemade solution to remove wrinkles from garments. Follow these steps to straighten out your graduation gown,
- Hang your graduation gown on a wooden hanger.
- Spray the solution on it.
- Gently pat out the wrinkles and pull the gown.
- Air-dry the gown or let it hang under the sun for a couple of hours.
If you are worried about smelling like vinegar, you can add your favorite essence into the solution to smell lovely.
Using a Dryer
You can also use a dryer to straighten out wrinkles from your graduation gown. But you must follow a special method to avoid damaging the fabric.
- Put the dryer on low heat.
- Dampen a towel and place it into the dryer along with the gown.
- Let the dryer run for 15 minutes.
- Check for wrinkles, if any repeat the process.
- After removing all wrinkles, immediately hang the gown.
When using the dryer, a wet towel is essential. It protects your gown from melting and provides moisture to straighten out the creases.
If you are not willing to take any risks or if the above-mentioned methods don’t seem to be working, it is best to seek professional help. Take your gown to the nearest dry-cleaning shop to get the job done. However, keep in mind this will be expensive. Before doing this, we do recommend the very first tip we provided.
Graduation day is one of the hallmarks of one’s life. Whether you are graduating high school or college, this day calls for excitement and celebration. Wanting to look perfect is a given. If you think your creased gown will be an eyesore on your very special day, then follow the simple solutions we have provided in this guide. Hopefully, this informational post has helped answer your question on how to get wrinkles out of a graduation gown. We hope your day is everything you want it to be and that your pictures are fabulous.
If you have any tried-and-tested tips and tricks, please share them in the comments below.